Gyros are a Greek dish consisting of meat, onion, tomato and sauce served on pita bread. The sauce, called tzatziki sauce uses ingredients such as cucumber, yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice and salt. There seems to be a long list of ingredients, but some of the items such as olives, lettuce or tomato could be left out if you want to. This recipe uses chicken but lamb or beef could also be used.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- ¾ cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup cucumber (shredded and seeded)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon greek seasoning
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 large pita bread rounds
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce (cut into ¼” slices)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tomato (halved and sliced)
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- ½ cup pepperoncini
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a small bowl combine balsamic vinaigrette, juice from ½ of a lemon, oregano, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken a large re-sealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To make sauce- Toss the shredded cucumber with 1 teaspoon of slat. Allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes. In a medium bowl mix together yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill, and Greek seasoning. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water. Stir into the sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.
- Grease and pre-heat and outdoor grill to high eat. Remove chicken from the marinade and place onto the grill. Discard the marinade. Cook chicken until the juices run clear and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove the chicken from the grill and slice into thin strips.
- Place pita rounds on the grill and cook for 2 minutes, until warm. Turning frequently to keep them from burning. Top each pita with chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion, olives, and pepperoncini. Serve with tzatziki sauce and feta cheese.
Recipe by kind permission of Blog Chef