This delicious open chicken sandwich has a chilli jam in the recipe that has been known to make people cry it’s so good. What a fabulous combination.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- A glug of olive oil
- A few sprigs of thyme (save a few for your jam)
- Crusty loaf
For the Tomato Chilli Jam:
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- ½ mug brown sugar
- 1 chilli, chopped
- A glug of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- A pinch of salt and pepper
For the Salsa:
- 1 mango, cubed
- A handful coriander, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas mark 6.
- Pop the chicken thighs into a roasting tray. Add a glug of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and a generous handful of thyme. Roast in preheated oven till skin is brown and crispy (approx 40 mins).
- Fry one onion in a large pan until soft; keep the other one for later. When the onion is done add your tomatoes, a few chopped sprigs of thyme, brown sugar, one chilli (the other one’s for the salsa), balsamic vinegar, tomato purée, lemon juice, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce till thick and sticky.
- Whilst the jam is bubbling away whip up your salsa. Pop your mango, red onion, avocado, coriander and chilli in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to your lime juice, taste and drizzle over the salsa.
- Toast a slice of bread per person, smother with the chilli jam and pop your roasted chicken thigh on top. Serve with the salsa and a little extra jam if you fancy it.
Recipe by kind permission of Abel & Cole
Love good food? Abel & Cole have got weekly boxes of it. Seasonal and organic fruit, veg and more to your door. You don’t even need to be in when they deliver. You’ll get your food from people who’ve been delivering organic veg for nearly 25 years. They really know their onions. They deal directly with small scale family farmers, makers and bakers, so they know exactly how all your food is grown and made.