This is a wonderful way to use preserved lemons, the saltiness works so well in this sweet treat ‐ great with mid‐morning coffee or at the end of a meal. It tastes even better the next day, if there is any left!
Serves: 16 pieces
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 200g unsalted butter
- 270g uncooked filo pastry sheets, cut to the size of the tin (keep covered with a damp cloth)
- 225g nuts chopped finely in a food processor (walnuts, pistachios and almonds work well or a mix)
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g runny honey
- 2 – 3 tbsp BELAZU Preserved Lemons, deseeded and very finely chopped
- Pre‐heat the oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in a pan. Using a pastry brush cover the bottom of the tin with melted butter and lay in the first sheet of filo. Brush the butter onto your next sheet of filo pastry and place butter side down into the tin, repeat so you have 5 layers.
- Sprinkle half of the nuts over the pastry distributing evenly, add 2 more layers of buttered pastry then the rest of the nuts and finally the remaining buttered pastry sheets.
- With a sharp knife cut into 16 squares, bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the sugar, honey and lemon in a small saucepan and mix with 150ml of just boiled water from the kettle, set over a medium heat for 3‐5 minutes until the sugar is dissolved, remove from the heat and set this syrup aside to infuse while the baklava is in the oven.
- Once out of the oven ladle the syrup over the pastry and leave to cool – if you can!
Recipe by kind permission of Belazu