Day 1: Paris, France - Bienvenue en France!
Take free time today to fall in love with the world’s most romantic city. Get inspired by its architectural
icons, exquisite cuisine, chic boutiques, and priceless artistic treasures.
Day 2: Paris - cafés, cathedrals, and canvases —the city of lights truly shines
- Classic: Join a Guided City Tour that shows the iconic sites of Paris, such as the Louvre Museum, the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, Opéra Garnier, and the famous Champs-Élysées.
Spend your free time strolling through the ChampsÉlysées for café au lait and croissants, see the exhibits at the Louvre, or visit Montmartre’s Basilica of the Sacré Cœur. Consider browsing Paris’ classic shopping avenues and literary cafés for a true Parisian experience, or have your portrait sketched by a Parisian artist in the square at Place du Tertre. (B)
Day 3: Dijon – Beaune - St Jean de Losne (embarkation) - Take a high-speed train from Paris to Dijon, to drive on to Beaune
- Classic: Visit the Hôtel-Dieu Charity Hospital in Beaune, built in 1443, today home of Van der Weyden’s painting of the Last Judgment and is one of France’s architectural highlights.
This afternoon, travel to St. Jean de Losne to board your Suite Ship* (B,D)
Overnight cruise to Macon
Day 4: Macon - wine and cheese on the stunning Saône
Enjoy leisurely cruising en route to Mâcon along the majestic Saône River. Consider a Guided Optional
Excursion to a Chardonnay wine cellar, or to the Castle of Cormatin.
- Discovery: Later, enjoy a delicious Cheese Tasting on board your ship.
Enjoy live entertainment while sailing for Trévoux this evening.
Overnight docking in Trevoux. (B,L,D)
Day 5: Lyon - Adventures in food and wine in the gastronomy capital of France
Sail for lovely Lyon this morning.
- Classic: Join a Guided Sightseeing Tour to survey Lyon from Fourvière Hill with its numerous churches. You’ll also explore the Old Town with its maze of medieval alleyways, and the lively cafés, monuments, and famed fountain of Place des Terreaux.
Spend free time riding a bike through Lyon’s town squares, over bridges, and along the banks where the Rhône and Saône rivers meet.
- Discovery: Attend a WWII & French Resistance Lecture on board your ship.
Later enjoy live entertainment after dinner.
Overnight docking in Lyon. (B,L,D)
Day 6: Lyon - French food and wine—La Vie En Rose in Lyon
- Discovery: Join a Culinary Walk through the city to discover why Lyon is known as the
gastronomic capital of France.
The rest of your day is free to explore, relax, or shop in France’s third largest city. Take a bike from the ship
and explore local produce markets and parks, or take a leisurely tour of the city’s more than 100 murals. Later, enjoy live entertainment on board.
Evening cruise to Tournon. (B,L,D)
Day 7: Tournon - a rendezvous with castle views and vineyards
- Classic: Take a morning Guided Walking Tour to explore Tournon—one of France’s oldest medieval cities. See its 16th-century castle, and Roman ruins between the Rhône River and the granite slopes of the Hermitage.
Enjoy a leisurely sail to Viviers after lunch.
Viviers - history in a charming French country village
- Classic: Explore the pale-stone buildings of Viviers on a late afternoon Guided Walking Tour of this charming village. You’ll see its Romanesque cathedral and Old Town with a mix of historical Christian, Roman, and medieval influences.
Evening/overnight cruise to Avignon. (B,L,D)
Day 8: Avignon -the city of Popes in picturesque Provence
- Classic: Take a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the fortress city of Avignon—with its ramparts encircling the city—and a visit to the amazing Palace of the Popes.
Guided Optional Excursions include a visit to the ancient Roman aqueduct of Pont du Gard, or a trip to the famed wine cellars of Châteauneuf-du-Pape for a true taste of the Rhône wine region.
Explore Avignon on your own for the city’s art and culture, theatre, and museums. Be sure to snap photos of the captivating countryside, historic monuments, and the medieval Pont Saint-Bénézet.
Later, enjoy onboard live entertainment. Evening cruise to Arles. (B,L,D)
Day 9: Arles - inspiring sights and avant-garde lights
- Active: Join your Avalon adventure host for a morning walk
- Classic: Enjoy a Guided Walking Tour of Arles—the captivating city of the Provence region. You’ll visit the Roman Amphitheatre in this visually stunning city that inspired the works of Vincent van Gogh.
- Discovery: Attend a Painting Workshop to learn the style and techniques of Vincent van Gogh. You’ll
create your own painting in the style of the classic master who took inspiration from the Provence light and landscape in Arles.
Consider a Guided Optional Excursion to the Carrières de Lumières (Cathedral of Images) to immerse yourself in a truly unique experience of art, sound, and light in the old quarries of Val d’Enfer.
Take advantage of any free time remaining with a stop in Le Café Van Gogh for a glass of wine, to relax and watch the world go by.
Evening cruise to Port-Saint-Louis(B,L,D)
Day 10: Port-Saint-Louis - (disembarkation)
Your holiday ends with breakfast this morning. (B)
This itinerary is also available from Port-Saint-Louis to Paris
Day 1, Port-Saint-Louis (Embarkation); Day 2, Arles; Day 3, Avignon; Day 4, Viviers; Day 5, Tournon–Vienne; Day 6, Lyon; Day 7, Tournus–St. Jean de Losne; Day 8, St. Jean de Losne (Disembarkation)–Beaune–Dijon–Paris; Day 9, Paris; Day 10, Paris, your vacation ends this morning.
Add Marseille to your cruise.
In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary. Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time. In the event that a high-speed train is unavailable due to operational or technical reasons, the route will be altered or operated by motorcoach.