Day 1: Amsterdam, Holland (embarkation)
Welcome to Holland. Your Suite Ship is Ready for Boarding.
Flights into Amsterdam must arrive by 3:30 pm. Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
Your day in Amsterdam is free to explore at your leisure. During tulip season, you may take a Guided Optional Excursion to Keukenhof gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths, as well as other bulbs planted each year. Outside of tulip season, join a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses.
Overnight docking in Amsterdam. (D)
Day 2: Amsterdam - canals of colourful Amsterdam
- Classic: Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam on a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.”
You may like to join a Guided Optional Excursion to Muiderslot Castle, or a Guided Optional Biking Excursion to the Dutch countryside. Alternatively, spend some free time this afternoon visiting one of Amsterdam’s many fascinating museums or galleries.
Afternoon/overnight cruise to Cologne. (B,L,D)
Day 3: Cologne, Germany - prost! celebrate in the Rhineland’s capital city
- Classic: Take a Guided City Walk of Cologne—with its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral, OR:
- Discovery: Choose a Guided Walking Tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites.
Don’t miss the chance to enjoy free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years! Local musicians will join us on board for live entertainment.
Overnight cruise to Koblenz. (B,L,D)
Day 4: Koblenz - fortress walls and manor halls where the Rhine and Moselle meet
- Classic: Take a Guided City Walk amid ancient fortress walls, towers, squares, and monuments, OR:
- Classic: Visit the Sayn Manor House on a Guided Tour.
Spend free time on a cable-car ride, or a hike to see the mountaintop Ehrenbreitstein Fortress. Enjoy a
leisurely walk across the town to shop or sample potato pancakes and regional wine. Later, enjoy live
entertainment on board.
Afternoon/overnight cruise to Bernkastel. (B,L,D)
Day 5: Bernkastel - gracious German vineyards of the Moselle Valley
- Classic: Take a Guided Walking Tour of the charming wine village of Bernkastel—with its medieval marketplace and 17th-century gabled timber-framed houses, OR:
- Discovery: Join a Wine Tasting to experience the tradition of legendary German wine making.
Grab Nordic walking sticks or a bike from the ship and explore the surroundings nature trails, or leisurely hike up to the hills for breathtaking views of the Moselle.
Overnight cruise to Remich. (B,L,D)
Day 6: Remich. Excursion to Luxembourg - the lofty landscapes of Luxembourg
- Classic: Join a Guided Tour of Luxembourg City— with its dramatic views, ancient ruins, and
modern architecture along the deep gorge terrain.
Later, enjoy live entertainment on board your ship.
Evening/overnight cruise to Trier. (B,L,D)
Day 7: Trier, Germany - ancient worlds, old world charm
- Classic: Take a Guided Sightseeing tour of Trier— Germany’s oldest city with ancient remnants
dating from 144-152 AD. Starting from Porta Nigra, walk through the city center, OR:
- Classic: Join a history-focused Roman Trier Guided Tour to learn more about the history of
Roman civilization in this Moselle River city, and visit the ruins of a 20,000-seat amphitheater, and imperial baths.
Afternoon/overnight cruise to Cochem. (B,L,D)
Day 8: Cochem - Reichsburg Castle, Riesling wine, and the charm of the
- Classic: Join a Guided Walk of Cochem to see the charming town’s half-timbered houses and winding streets. Visit Cochem’s hilltop Reichsburg Castle with a bird’s-eye-view of the Moselle Valley and river bend.
Afternoon/evening cruise to Boppard. (B,L,D)
Day 9: Boppard - Rhine Gorge - a peaceful jewel in the Rhine Gorge
- Active: Go for a jog this morning through the village of Boppard with your Avalon Adventure Host.
Alternatively, choose to explore Boppard’s beautiful views and forested surroundings on a bike ride or hike at your own pace. Spend free time this morning visiting a local café for a cup of German coffee.
Enjoy the breathtaking views as you cruise through the spectacular Rhine Gorge on your way to Rüdesheim.
Rudesheim - eat, drink, and be merry in wine country
- Discovery: Based on your departure, enjoy either a Coffee Tasting or a Wine Tasting.
- Discovery: Tour the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience, OR:
- Active: Take an open-air cable car ride to the Niederwald Monument. Ride or walk back down through the vineyards, OR:
- Active: Combine a cable-car ride and a hike with your Avalon Adventure Host to explore the picturesque hills and vineyards of Rüdesheim.
Overnight cruise to Ludwigshafen. (B,L,D)
Day 10: Ludwigshafen. Excursion to Heidelberg - philosophical views, a hilltop castle, and the world’s biggest barrel of wine
- Classic: Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnifi cent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel,” OR:
- Active: Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a hike up Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view of the city below.
You’ll have free time to stroll or shop in Heidelberg this afternoon.
Evening/overnight cruise to Strasbourg. (B,L,D)
Day 11: Strasbourg, France - gothic giants and varietal vintages
- Active: Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Morning Walk, OR:
- Classic: Take a City Sightseeing Tour, including the city’s gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District.
You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to the splendid Alsace wine country, or a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the charming village of Colmar, with its half-timbered medieval and early renaissance buildings.
Alternatively, take some free time in Strasbourg to visit a museum, or stroll across the city centre. Sample local culinary specialties, such as Tarte flambée.
Overnight cruise to Breisach. (B,L,D)
Day 12: Breisach, Germany. Excursion to the Black Forest
- Classic: Visit to Badische Winzerkeller, the largest German wine producer in Europe. Discover
Germany’s southernmost wine country in Baden—ideally situated between the hills of the Black Forest and the Rhine River. Learn about the vintners’ process in the vineyards here, and enjoy a wine tasting, OR:
- Discovery: Join a full-day Guided Visit to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernhof open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional Bavarian butter-making demonstration.
Follow your visit to Badische Winzerkeller with a free afternoon in Breisach. Take a bike from the ship, or walk among the pastel-painted houses above the Rhine.
Evening/overnight cruise to Basel. (B,L,D)
Day 13: Basel, Switzerland (Disembarkation)
Your holiday ends with breakfast this morning. Flights should not leave Zürich airport before 10 am.
There is a reverse course option on this cruise - Basel to Amsterdam
Day 1, Basel (Embarkation); Day 2, Breisach. Excursion to Black Forest; Day 3, Strasbourg; Day 4, Ludwigshafen. Excursion to Heidelberg; Day 5, Rüdesheim—Rhine Gorge; Day 6, Koblenz; Day 7, Bernkastel; Day 8, Remich. Excursion to Luxembourg; Day 9, Trier; Day 10, Cochem; Day 11, Cologne; Day 12, Amsterdam; Day 13, Amsterdam (Disembarkation), your cruise ends this morning.
Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time. In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.